Reach your long-term study, employment and personal goals
What can the money be used for?
- Course fees if not eligible to receive a government subsidy or loan
- Co-contribution fees (for VET courses) where the student is eligible for a subsidy (like Certificate 3 Guarantee or Higher skills)
- Approved education expense such as laptop, internet data, transport, childcare, books and stationery, desk and chair, PPE (personal protective equipment), uniforms
What other support will a scholarship recipient receive?
The scholarship recipient will receive one to one support with a trained Learning Partner, who will spend 1-2 hours per week/fortnight providing support. Attending these sessions is a requirement of the award. There will also be peer support sessions, both face-to-face and online.
Am I eligible to apply?
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be a resident of the Toowoomba Regional Council area or relocating to the region for study
- Be planning to start study in an approved course within four months of the award date or already be studying in an approved training or university course (can be negotiated if the course doesn’t start until later)
- Commit to attend mentoring and peer support sessions for the duration of the scholarship (up to 12 months)
- Be willing to have their award information published on St Vincent de Paul Society social media, newsletters and reports or other media (with identifying details withheld if required).
There are no age restrictions to participate, but the person must be entering post-secondary education or training.
How do I apply?
Applicants need to:
- Meet with the Vinnies Education Program Coordinator to discuss course options and suitability
- Complete an application form
- Provide a personal statement (up to one page) explaining why they want to participate in their chosen education or training program and what they would like to achieve from it
- Demonstrate financial hardship and/or experience of barriers to education, training and/or employment
- Indicate what financial support (up to scholarship limit) is required
- Provide a reference letter in support of the application.
The award is for a maximum of 12 months from the award date or until the program/course is completed.
If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the number of scholarships available, not all applications will be successful.
Contact Carly Middap, Toowoomba Education Program Coordinator, on 4699 5222 or email email@example.com.
This round of scholarships open 9 December 2019 and close 20 January 2019.